A new year means a clean slate and it’s always a good idea to jot down some objectives or set goals. I love doing this as a family and involving my kids. It helps them focus and teaches them to work for the things they want to accomplish. It can be challenging for kids to understand resolutions or setting goals but I’ve got you covered. Here are some tips for New Year Goal Setting for Kids with Free Printable included.
New Year Goal Setting for Kids
Just like adults, kids need goals to motivate them to improve and boost their self esteem. When a child sets a goal and they accomplish it, they feel better, more empowered and they’re creating good habits. It also teaches them about responsibility and accountability for themselves and their behavior.
Tips for Goal Setting with Kids
- Let your child take the lead – don’t tell them what you want them to do, let them tell you what they want to do and guide them to choosing a realistic goal. For example, one of my boys told me he wants to go hiking on a mountain. That’s going to be nearly impossible seeing as we live in South Florida and geographically that’s not happening. So together, we decided we can try to find a hiking trail in Florida that we can all do as a family. He was so happy!
- Set specific goals – kids can really go wild when asked what they want to do so help your child by narrowing down their big goals into very specific attainable goals. One of my boys once said he wanted to be the best baseball player on the team. This is too broad a goal and not something you can really measure so I helped him make a better plan of hitting the ball one time each game. He was able to track his progress and it made it easier to focus on his goal.
- Write it down – it’s been said you’re more likely to follow through with something if you write it down! I created a simple goal setting worksheet for my kids that we’ve been using since last year that you can use too!
- Display it – take the worksheet and display it somewhere your kids can see it everyday to stay motivated.
- Be supportive – your child will need you to help and support them even if it’s just through words of encouragement. I like check in on my kids’ progress every week to see how they’re doing and let them know I’m available if they need me.
New Year Goal Setting Printable
I created this super simple worksheet to get my kids to set some goals at the beginning of each year. Each space has a prompt to get them started and they fill in “I will try…” “I will learn how to…” “I will read…” and “I will visit…”
Click on the buttons below for the FREE printable.
For personal use only.
You can use this as a starting point with big, broad goals or use it to narrow down specific goals. If your kiddos are too small to write on their own, they can use the space to draw and you can help them with the words.
Are you ready to set goals for 2022 with your kids? It’s going to be a great year!
And because I’m so excited for this new year and still in the festive mood, I’m going to share another FREE printable with you! Yup, you’re getting a bonus Happy New Year coloring page! Choose from the one with the year or without.
Click on the button below for the FREE printable.
For personal use only.