How to Know if Your Child is Ready for a Smartphone
*This post is sponsored by Verizon. Opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Is your child ready for his/her first smartphone?
It can be a difficult process with so many things to consider. When is the right time? Which device is best? What about parental controls? I know I have tons of questions about it.
Over the past 4 weeks I’ve learned tips and resources you can use to make the best & most informed decision for YOUR family. This has been eye-opening for me as my boys are getting closer to the age where they’ll need their own phones.
I’ve partnered with Verizon to share about our family’s experiences along with their new, kid-friendly plan that accounts for the needs of parents and kids— simplifying the introduction of a child to their first smartphone experience.
What is the right age for a child to have a smartphone?
There is no one “right” age for a child to have a smartphone. The decision varies greatly from family to family. However, there are signs to watch that can tell you if your child is at that “right” age for a smartphone. At 7 and 9 years old, my kids are nearing that stage for sure and I want to be prepared.
When I shared about this on my Instagram and Facebook, the popular answer from parents was around late elementary age to early middle school, so anytime between 10-12 years old. Some parents do it sooner and some later but that seems to be a sweet spot for most people.
Ultimately, deciding when your child is ready for a smartphone depends on the needs or your family. Does your child have a lot of time alone? Is your child in extra-curricular activities where you drop them off? Are you co-parenting and need to communicate with them when they’re away? So many factors play into this and it’s not a one-size fits all approach.
Benefits of Kids Having Smartphones
Handing over a smartphone to your child can be a little scary but trust me, there are some great benefits once you’re ready.
- Keeping in touch – if you drop off your child for sports, a friend’s house or for a trip, it’s good to have constant communication. You can easily text or call at any time they are away from you and reach them in an instant.
- Homework help – with so many school assignments now relying on technology, it’s important your kid is armed with the best tools. Kids can access the internet or special apps to help them with their classwork or homework.
- Navigation/location – smartphones are now all equipped with GPS and location services. You can easily keep track of where your child is at all times and know where they are if needed.
- Responsibility – having a smartphone can help your child learn how to take care of technology. You can use this a way to teach them responsibility and how to properly use it.
Check out this Facebook Live for more information on How to Know When Your Child is Ready for a Smartphone
All About Verizon’s Just Kids Plan
Verizon’s Just Kids plan is perfect for any family choosing to introduce smartphones to their children. It’s the plan that’s made with your kids in mind. They get 5 GB of data, you get simple parental controls to monitor their data usage and keep tabs on who they’re talking to.
I recently visited a Verizon store to get more information on their Just Kids plan and I love everything about it! So why Just Kids?
- Parents can add a plan specifically for their kids’ smartphone
- First of its kind price plan just for kids
- Allows parents to set limits & content filters – set filters to block inappropriate apps or websites and limit the data usage as you see fit.
- Parents can manage contacts & get location alerts – set alerts to be notified of your child’s location. You can also set up 20 trusted contacts your child can reach anytime regardless of restrictions. This is perfect for emergency contacts, family and trusted people.
- Pause the internet – pause the internet at home or on the go over Wi-Fi or 4G LTE
Verizon’s kid-friendly plan provides more than just amazing technological features. It gives parents peace of mind which is priceless. You can give your child a smartphone and still feel totally in control while letting them explore the responsibility on their own.
If you’re ready to explore the smartphone world for your kids, give Verizon’s Just Kids plan a try!