My family and I live in Florida and beach visits can happen year round for us. My kids love going to the beach and we go as often as we can especially during the summer months.
After many years, I’ve finally mastered my list of must have essentials for a trip to the beach with kids and I’m sharing it with you!
*This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on a link or make a purchase I may make a small commission.
1. Sunscreen – this is a definite MUST and it’s actually always in my purse because the Florida sun is unforgiving. My current favorite is blue lizard because it’s safe, dermatologist recommended and fragrance-free. They have baby & kids options but I even use it for myself and my husband!
2. Wet Bag – I have a beach bag that doubles as a wet bag and I’m obsessed with it. The Logan and Lenora Oversized Caryall bag is the perfect beach bag/wet bag because it’s HUGE, waterproof and machine washable. I’ve mentioned this brand so many times on my blog before because it’s that good and I recommend it any chance I get.
A good wet bag is necessary to throw in wet bathing suits, toys, towels or anything you’d like to store away but you don’t want the rest of your things getting wet.
3. Something to sit on & relax – Ok let’s be real here, if you’re going with kids you’re probably not going to relax much but you will need to sit at some point. I prefer taking beach chairs that fold up easily so I stay off the ground. We have one for each member of the family and use them for other times throughout the year so we get our money’s worth.
If you prefer towels or blankets to lay on the sand, I recommend a beach mat that is easy to clean, store and travel with.
4. All the snacks! – I feel like my kids are constantly eating and snacks are a necessity for any beach visit. I make sure we are ready with tons of food, drinks, and special treats!
To keep food & drinks cool I always pack a backpack cooler because it’s easy to throw on and carry to the beach while still being hands-free to hold on to my kids.
5. Sun Shade – whether it’s an umbrella or a big tent, something to provide shade is important. We like to take a break from the sun when we grab a bite to eat or just to take a quick nap. I like to keep it simple with a beach umbrella that snaps right to my beach chair and weighs less than 2 pounds.
7. Shell bag – My boys (and my husband too) love collecting shells! Using a small shell mesh bag is great for searching for those perfect shells.
- Toys – kids love to dig in the sand & build sandcastles.
- Protective Swimwear – sometimes sunscreen isn’t enough and you need more sun protection. Swimwear like swimzip is a great option. They have everything from hats to swimsuits for the whole family and it’s all UPF 50.
- Change of clothes – if you know you’ll have a place to be able to change out of your wet bathing suits before heading home, it’s good to have a change of clothes with you.
- Water Bottle – I recommend one that will keep your water cold for many hours like a hydro flask or s’well.
- Baby Powder – this works amazingly for taking off sand from legs before getting in the car. Just apply a generous amount, let it sit for a bit to let the sand dry and it’ll come right off with a towel.
- Water Shoes – these are great to protect your feet from super hot sand, shells, and other hazards.
What are your must haves for a day at the beach with kids? Share them with me in the comments!